Friday, December 9, 2016

Graffiti Art and Graffiti Boards

Written by: Chrystal Williams-Alberty, 3rd-5th Grade Reading Teacher

Growing up in a clean cut neighborhood, with nicely painted houses, the term “graffiti” seemed out of place to me.  The thought of messy drawings on public walls was not only a menace to the visual peace of a neighborhood but also something I couldn’t find myself identifying with.

It wasn’t until I became a teacher I heard of the term “graffiti art.”  I discovered it was more than just messy drawings on a wall.  Graffiti art, in my opinion, is a great way to express yourself.

In my classroom I have used graffiti art as a tool to grasp the gist of a story for emerging readers or upper elementary students who read at an emerging reader level.  During a read aloud students make a graffiti board.  I give students time to draw pictures or words that stick out to them during the story on a graffiti board.  After reading we review our drawings and words then explain why these words and pictures stuck out to us.

Students who lack in reading and writing ability have an opportunity to respond to reading without the pressure of having to read by themselves or write.  Also, you need very few supplies to get the job done.

The picture below shows a group of 4th grade students who perform on Kindergarten and 1st grade levels in reading.  They are making a graffiti board using chart paper and markers.  They listened to the story Of Thee I Sing A Letter to My Daughters by Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment