Thursday, October 20, 2016

Promoting Literacy With Classroom Libraries

Written by Cori Latta, 3rd-5th Grade ELA Teacher

In my classroom students love the variety of books there are to choose from. From fiction books about princesses, scary stories, and a child named Rodrick, to non-fiction texts comparing the sizes of animal teeth and biographies about famous authors, athletes, and celebrities. The levels in my library range from A-Z to fit the needs of any student. My classroom library is the favorite part of my room, and if I asked my students I think they might agree. Seeing a student pick out a book and read it for fun, because of interest, or to gather information is definitely one of the most rewarding learning moments a teacher can witness.



            However, a resourceful classroom library does not get this way over night, or honestly even in a first year of teaching. A classroom library is an ongoing project that is constantly being updated, leveled, and organized.  It has taken over seven years of volunteering, donations, going to garage sales, and browsing through used books at thrift stores to build the library I have. The best app I have found most useful for leveling my books is called Lit. Leveler. It will scan your book and give you a Lexile level, DRA, and GRL (F&P). It only costs a few dollars and is worth the price.

            Checking out books in a classroom library is a routine just like management that must be established within the first few weeks of school. In the past I allowed students who were divided by reading groups to check out books each day of the week. Students were allowed to keep up to four books at a time, two fiction and two non-fiction on their independent reading level, in their desks that they could read for IDR assignments or when they finished other assignments. During the following week on their check-out day they would be allowed to exchange the books out for new ones or keep the books they have been reading, but if they choose to keep the books they would have to wait another week to check out new books. In the past when I taught fifth grade I used a notecard system where students would keep track of the titles they checked out on a wall in individual small envelopes that had each student’s names stapled to a bulletin board.

            This year I am allowing my RTI reading groups to check out two books at a time. Just like I have allowed reading groups check out books on certain days of the week, I am doing the same for my RTI groups, except by their leveled color folder which is what holds any accountability pieces they will do in class or small groups. My third and fourth grade homerooms keep their books in their designated mailboxes and my RTI students keep their books in a designated RTI box. As the year progresses I will allow students to check out up to four books at a time.



            Building a classroom library is essential no matter what subject or grade you are teaching. Students love gaining the gift of reading and being able to choose what they want to read. Collage book covers on a bulletin board or wall to allow students to see a small preview of what interests and prizes your library holds.


If you are interested in volunteering to earn “free” books Scholastic holds a warehouse sale every December and May. For each hour you work you earn $10 worth of books from the sale to spend. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Cori! You've inspired me to revamp my library, and given me the tricks needed to make it successful. Thank you! - Raben

    ReplyDelete